Monday, November 28, 2011

Stylish Growing Pains



What was it like for you growing up and discovering your style influences? I had my head in the clouds and was busy dreaming away with my rose coloured glasses on. I definitely had my own distinct flavour of style developing and one of the big hitters that influenced me was Jackie Onassis. 

I loved the clean elegant lines of her style, the gianormous sunglasses, and the capri trousers. No matter the occasion there was never a doubt about her elegance and grace.

People, (well meaning people, mean spirited people, all types of people,) may chime in with their thoughts about your style. How much we listen to them is up to us. Personally, I had someone who would tell me how boring, old fashioned, or too old they thought I dressed. I'm so glad I didn't listen to them. It feels good to be comfortable in my skin, liking who I am and knowing what I like to wear. I love going into a store and finding a piece that reminds me of one of my style icons. I don't always know right off the bat if the piece will work for me, but it doesn't matter. I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Sometimes it works out and other's it doesn't. No matter what the outcome, I never regret trying. Without trying you'll never know.

When Jacqueline became First Lady she retained  long time friend and fashion designer, Oleg Cassini to help her look her best. She also wore ensembles from Chanel, Givenchy, and Dior. Her (and Cassini's) style instantly became a hit and spread like wild fire throughout the country. And when she left the office of First Lady her style continued to evolve into an ever more interesting phenomenon that included silk Hermès head scarves, large round dark sunglasses, brighter colours and patterns. Jackie O. has been on my mind lately because, as everything else in life, my tastes have continued to grow and change. I'm still in love with her First Lady style and now my appreciation for her style later in life is growing. 

Who were your style icons growing up? Did you have anyone who gave you a hard time about your style choices? Are you still finding new people who inspire your style?

{image sources herehere, here, and here}

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love Jackie! She's one of my fashion icons! She was so cool and ladylike at the same time. I also love Audrey Hepburn's effortless style, which I find very similar to Jackie's. I guess the reason I love these women's style so much is because they're my mom's style icons as well and to me my mom is my first and most important style inspiration. She's very classy and trendy at the same time. I'm a very classy girl myself, if I'm allowed to say so, but I'm a bit more daring than my mom and Jackie. And that adventurous self came from growing up in the 90's and having the Spice Girls, Gwen Stefani and Carrie Bradshaw as my style muses. Recently I became in love with Anna Dello Russo's style. She's very over the top and lives in a fantasy world that the rest of the world can only dream of, but she has given me the incentive to try new things and not be afraid of having fun with fashion. When I'm getting dressed I often ask myself "what would Anna Dello Russo do?". But inspiration can come from the most humble sources, from a fellow blogger or girls walking down the street, so I find new inspiring people everyday.
    No one ever gave me hard time about my style choices(and I had some bad ones), but I think that's because I always owned my looks, and when u own it and feel comfortable with your choices, your style is beyond criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up (am I still growing up?) in the 90s, so I was really influenced by what I saw on TV in the Philippines which is a mixture of Brit/Aussie/American pop and the occasional re-run of Beatles videos. I am therefore super obsessed with Gwen Stefani's funky glamour, Kylie Minogue's 90s look, and the Spice Girls. OH EM GEE I can't believe I am sharing this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! I love Jackie O's style. She is always fashionable, chic, and polished. I would kill for her wardrobe. Kate Middleton reminds me of Jackie. Just the way she put herself together and how see acts in public. Well, come to think of it Middleton is more resourceful. I remember seeing Middleton re-wearing a lot of pieces in her wardrobe, which make me love her even more. Well, enough about her...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie O. is such a glam style icon! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if she influenced me, but she was definitely my ideal of beauty and style. I have an absurd "love" for Audrey Hepburn and I've loved everything about her since I knew of her existence. Jackie O is indeed quite the icon. I remember a mention of her in Sex And The City and her style has always been amazing.

    (As for the dish, it's rice noodles cooked in shellfish broth eaten mixed with bits of beef, nori, shiitake mushrooms and egg. It's delicious, I might add!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your blog and loving it!! Jackie O is so gorgeous and has an amazing sense of style!! She is one of my style icons and one of my main ones is Dita Von Teese. XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilyn was more of my speed. I loved her figure hugging dresses and cropped pants. To me, she represented the womanly ideal: chic, sexy, and fun. Despite her dramatic love life, she was quite the woman.

    ReplyDelete