Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Inspiration...

Where does your style come from? I've read many comments about how stylists can be inspired by artists. I've never tried that.  And then one day, I saw this beautiful tweed dress. It was a bit pricey and a little bit daunting. I love tweed. At heart, I'm a nerdy academic. Tweed, corduroy, turtle necks, thick framed glasses, you name it, you can count me in.

A whole dress made of tweed is a lot of texture and to be honest I didn't want to spend that kind of money during the holidays on myself. I settled for staring at the dress longingly each time I went by. And then one day it happened. I was cruising the clearance section and there was my dress, in my size, waiting patiently for me to come get it. The tweed's pattern has a beautiful warm set of colors for autumn/winter.

I'd never owned a tweed dress before and trying to figure out how to style it is pushing me to explore new things. I cracked open my art catalogue and found this lovely painting by Georgia O'Keeffe.

Have you ever used a painting as inspiration for an outfit? If you have I'd love to hear about it or see the photos! xoxo

{image sources: me}

5 comments:

  1. I have used paintings as inspirations! When I was a redhead I looked through the Klimt albums :) I also bought a kimono styled shirt ahter looking through Hokusai :)

    <3
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. You simply can't go wrong with tweed - especially at this time of year. Intrigued to know what the whole dress looks like though.
    I've used Millais' Ophelia painting several times for outfit inspiration. I've also used Frida Kahlo's paintings as inspiration (perhaps somewhat obviously) for styling outfits connected with spines or backs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that, subconsciously, I am influenced by everything I see. Obviously style blogs are a huge influence, but I find myself being inspired by colors and patterns in art and nature too. I can't think of any particular example, so I'll have to try to be more aware next time :)

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find my inspiration from everything around me....nature, fabrics, colors, music, literature. I love looking at pictures from the past from when my grandmother and mom were younger and drawing ideas from outfits they used to wear as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love Georgia. I hope to emulate her flowy lines in fabrics and her low chignon. She had one hell of a life.

    ReplyDelete