Thursday, November 24, 2011

Oh Sammy, I think I love you...

{image source: me using a nikon D60, gimp and picnik}

Have you ever had a sandwich so good it became love at first bite? I think I just did!

It was a day like any other day. I stumbled into the kitchen and scrounged through left overs and a half empty fridge. A few minutes later and I was noshing on the most delicious veggie sandwich I've had in ages. A song got stuck in my head as the flavours exploded in my mouth.


Let me tell you about this sandwich:

Take a baguette and warm it in the oven. Then stack it with layers of the following ingredients:

hummus
 olive tapenade
sautee 1/4 cup kale, 1 onion, 5 mushrooms, and 3 bell peppers
1 tomatoes
avocado slices
cayenne pepper

Need help with some of these guys? Keep reading.

Hummus Dip can be one of your favourite pre-mades or you can do my very simple psuedo hummus dip.

1 15 oz can of chick peas
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 lemon
1 tsp himalayan salt
Extra virgin olive oil
water

I'm not a big fan of the liquid of canned or boxed chick peas so I drain most of the liquid out but not all of it. Throw your chick peas in a food processor with the peeled garlic, the juice of 1 lemon, salt and at least 2 tbsp of the olive oil to start with. Blend until smooth and if it's a bit on the dry side add a little more oil until you get a nice sheen. You can hold back on the oil by subbing some with water but not too much.


Olive Tapenade

Plain and simple? I cheated. I didn't go so far as to buy one from the store but it's not far off. I got a nice mix of marinated olives. I chucked them into the food processor with a little olive oil and a clove of garlic. I diced them until I got the desired size and consistency.

To sautee the kale, onions and mushrooms thinly slice them and toss them in a little bit of olive oil to make sure they're nice and evenly coated. Heat over a medium heat until the onions are soft and a bit translucent. The peppers should be tender but still have a little bit of crunch. You can skip salting these guys. The salt in the olive tapenade more than makes up for it.


Top with fresh slices of avocado and tomato and sprinkle ground cayenne pepper to taste. And enjoy!

What are you stuffing yourself with? Got lots of ideas for those Thanksgiving left overs? Share them with me! I'd love to hear about them. I'm always up for trying something new.

xoxo


9 comments:

  1. This sandwich looks and sounds ravenously delicious! As for the olive oil, I think I'll have a word with my grandparents about it. They're the ones who give us the olive oil. The best kind is extra virgin, by the way. It's healthier and if you taste several brands, you'll notice the difference! (Portuguese brand of olive oil, Oliveira da Serra, is amazing and has won several world/european awards for being so good - not that I'd want to be tooting my own horn as I am Portuguese). I've missed your comments dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD I need this sandwich in my life. Nomnomnom.

    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OM NOM NOM NOM! I love me a good veggie sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this looks fabulous! Im so hungry now.

    xx
    thedesertfoxx
    www.thedesertfoxx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good.
    lee
    http://leeoliveira.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is as delightful as I imagined! I just need to eat one now! Also, Lee Oliveira again? 500 gold stars for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm drooling all over my keyboard. I don't know if it's because I'm sick and tired of turkey, but this sandwich is making hungry. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make it for my company's christmas party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh, this sandwich looks & sounds amazing!! I love chick peas -so good, and I can't wait to try it. I'm always on the hunt for great vegetarian recipes. xo veronika

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had a French Dip sandwich and it was definitely lacking. I wish I could have had this.

    ReplyDelete