Friday, October 28, 2011

My Friday

Salisbury Cathedral

Sometimes, getting to do something simply for the pure joy of doing it is put off when you have a family and responsibilities outside yourself. Friday, I got to do something that could almost be called "just for me". I wasn't alone but to my pleasant surprise, I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it. My macabre kids got a thrill out of all the "dead people" they were walking on as we surveyed the names of those who'd passed on the floors. With so much to admire inside, it was easy to get carried away and miss some of the amazing details on the outside.

I believe this is over the West facing entrance. Don't rely on my map reading skills too heavily though. ;)

As I was standing in the middle of the Nave, this small subdued voice started speaking and it took me a minute to clue in to what I was hearing. Thankfully, it wasn't a psychotic break. It was something far more lovely. Some sort of vicar or clergy person had taken to a podium further down with a microphone and was quietly asking everyone to stop where they were for a moment of silence and prayer. Religion hasn't played a very active role in my life but I sat in the chair right next to me and listened to her words. It was a brief prayer for peace for all of the countries from where we all come from followed by the Lord's Prayer. With all that's going on in the world right now it was a beautiful moment of hope and light. 



The Glass Prism was engraved by Laurence Whistler as a memorial to his brother Rex who died in Normandy in 1944, leading his troop of tanks. It seemed like such a beautiful way to remember a loved one, I had to include a picture of it.


The Prisoner of Conscience exhibit by Jane Lemon is currently on display at the Cathedral. If you're in the area, it's well worth taking the time to drop in and take it all in. Celebrating 50 years of Amnesty International, the exhibit contains a series of original embroideries depicting the flow of life for a Prisoner of Conscience. It lasts until the 30th of November.


A day full of beautiful moments, sunshine and happiness. I hope your Friday was as wonderful. 
Happy Halloween everyone!
xoxo

{images: All images by me, on a Nikon D60 and are unaltered, except for my watermark. If you'd like to use any of them, please just contact me. My email is available on my about me page}

10 comments:

  1. So much beauty! I'm also glad you weren't facing a psychotic issue and that it was merely a clergyman. It made me laugh. I just thought, oh no....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?! Escaped an all too probable fate by a whisker I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful moment. I love when a place so public and trafficked can feel so personally sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree. The moment really surprised me and it's one I would be overjoyed to experience on a daily basis. Really, I think it's something we could all use in our daily lives, no matter how it reaches us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful piece of art and architecture...! (About your comment - I'm certainly one of those people who LOVE staying home, drinking tea and eating biscuits while watching old movies or something of the sort!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow... these are amazing photos. You've got an amazing talent! I really like churches, especially old ones, most especially for their architecture and history. The ceiling is just beautiful!

    ps. thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my blog! i love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! You're most welcome. I really enjoy visiting your blog and seeing what you've come up for with your challenge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really is an awe inspiring place. I can't believe what they accomplished when they originally built the place with the technology they had. Other places at the time tried to replicate the same and many died. I am TOTALLY a home body that has to be pried out of the house with a crowbar when it's raining. It's like I was a cat in a past life or something. If I absolutely must go out in it, I'm alright with it and it's never as bad as I think it will be. But it's always something I approach with dread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that amongst the beautiful artwork and architecture there was a genuinely beautiful spiritual moment as well. Sounds like a perfect outing.

    Oh, and btw: Cathedral-blog-post-SNAP!
    http://howtowearclothes.com/2011/10/the-secret-of-the-duomo/

    ReplyDelete