Let's pretend like there was no report released earlier this month labeling all sugar as toxic and just appreciate the tastiness that is a Victoria Sandwich. If you've never had one or were afraid to try and bake one, I found a super simple recipe that you just have to try.
This recipe comes from Doves Farm.
Basic Sponge Cake Recipe
|100 g/ 4 oz||Softened butter|
|100g/4oz||Self Raising Flour|
|2 drops||Vanilla Essence|
- Pre-heat oven to 180° C/Fan 160° C/ 350° F/ Gas 4
- Rub a little oil around two round 18cm/7" or a rectangular 18x25cm/ 7x10" baking tin.
- Beat all ingredients together in a mixing bowl or blender.
- Turn mixture into the baking tins.
- Bake for 15/25 minutes depending on size.
- Cakes will be golden and springy to the touch when cooked.
- Turn out cake onto a wire rack to cool.
So this is where I'm going to confess - I didn't read the recipe all the way through and just ended up doing my own tiny thing. I whipped up some whipping cream.
|1 cup||Whipping Cream|
Mix the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla together until the cream stiffens to a nice fluffy consistency. I sliced the sponge cake in half, spread my favorite apricot jam across the bottom layer, stacked on the whipping cream, put the top of the sponge cake on and then dusted it with Icing sugar/Powdered sugar.
A great way to finish off our Sunday afternoon. Hope your weekend treats were just as tasty!